Thursday, October 11, 2018

WARRIOR CHILDREN: Legendary Three (Excerpt 1)

WINTER RELEASE, 2018! 

This is an excerpt from my book series, WARRIOR CHILDREN


To Purchase Book Series:  http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/vaughnedward
Website:  http://www.vaughnedward.com



BOOK I (EXCERPT): Warrior Children, Legendary Three

HE LANDED IN THE CANYON. The ground shattered and cracked in five places, four hundred feet below from where he was standing at the top of the cliff. He stood up, shook his head and yelled out to nobody in particular. “Seriously?! What. In. The. HELL?!”  How do they keep following me? From where?
A minute later, two portals opened up in front and behind him. Ten large and grotesque, hulking figures, five from each portal, shuffled through. He eyed them curiously and saw each had an upside-down half-moon on their forehead.  Just don’t give up, do they? Sharp fangs and demonic in nature. Well this should be fun, at the very least.
They slowly circled him, enclosing him in the center.
The leader of the group scoffed and spoke out. “Ten of us! Sent to dispose of one small boy? A waste of our time!” The others agreed, and murmurs and jeers simmered around the circle.
Small, sleek and slender, the boy appeared to be in his mid-teens. He sighed and ran his left hand through his dark, wavy hair, while his right hand rested easily on a long, golden and metallic staff, which stood as tall as him. Acting as if he was ignoring the predators before him, he casually touched and inspected the leaf-shaped tip at the end of the staff, rubbing his hand slowly on one of the flat sides.
A voice rang out from the circle. “Leader, after coming this far, you should allow each of us to tear him apart slowly, one at a time. It would be more satisfying than just gutting him with a spear.”
The boy slowly lifted his head and sneered. The corner of his right mouth curled up into a thin smile. All that could be heard was, “Heh heh”.  Maybe I can find out more about this portal, if I can draw a few more out of it.
In his most cocky voice, the boy retorted, “One at a time? Each get a bloody turn, while nine of you watch on the side? Technically, that’s still ten against one. The way I see it, ain’t much of a fair fight.” He paused. “I’m thinking, maybe you should call a few more of your pretty friends to come join you. You know, to even the odds a little bit?”
The leader yelled. “Enough!”  He pointed to one of his followers down the line. “Get it over with! Kill him, now!”
Immediately, the boy shifted his stance and sprang up into the air in a back flip. A beam of light shot out from his staff and exploded one foot in front of the leader, causing him to tumble backward, while the boy landed outside the circle.
He stared at the group in front of him and taunted them. “I’m much faster than all of you. I can run, and I can hide. I can do this ALL day. I would even venture to say, I am physically stronger than your strongest. If you care to test me? Ah, but I already told you. Let’s even the odds. Bring a few more here, and then I’ll fight.”
After pursuing him for nearly two hours through the mountains, leaping from rock to rock and running through the woods, they came into a clearing. Again, the boy repeated, “It’s really very simple. My directions aren’t hard to follow. Bring a few more here, and I’ll fight.”
Clearly frustrated, the leader threw his arms up in the air in rage and screamed at the top of his lungs. Instantly, a portal opened up.
The boy watched intently. He saw five more emerging from the portal. He set his gaze to the very back of the portal, as far back as he could see inside of it. A familiar feeling set upon him.
Well ain’t that interesting. They’re from home. I knew there was something familiar about these yayhoos.  A moment of annoyance, and he creased his brow.  But where would they be hiding on Mars?
“Father? You gonna answer that one?” the boy asked, loud enough for his ears only. He waited a moment. No answer.  Right then.  “I forgot. You only answer when YOU see fit,” he muttered.
Whatever.  Speaking to himself, he said, “Do I really ask for much? No. Do I talk to myself? Absolutely. Why? Cause I’ve no one else to talk to, except for huge, ugly demons twice my size. Mission. Find rocks. Throw rocks around. Holy bitch. I’ve definitely hit a new low.”
He let out a long sigh, then screamed out. “Eight months, Father! You said he would be here! But still no sign of Edward!” No reply. “Whatever. Let’s just finish this.”
He kicked a rock and prepared himself for battle with the fifteen demons before him. Just then, the air crackled and popped behind and above him.  What the hell? Only a small handful in the universe could possibly know this technique of communication.
Without turning around, the boy said sarcastically, “Whomsoever you are, you have picked a most inopportune time. As you can see, I am in no position to talk. Even though I’m, talking to you right now? I can, however, tell that your intention is not to harm me. Because of that, I’ll not waste your time in finding me by cutting the communication. If you wish, you can watch. Before I begin, state your names. Quickly.”
 

Vaughn Edward is a performing vocalist and instrumentalist, author and photographer. He has trekked over twenty cross-country trips in the States, performed throughout the U.S. and toured the Caribbean. He has authored two books, WARRIOR CHILDREN Fantasy series, and he has sold his photography canvases in various states. (www.vaughnedward.com)


Q&A Performance and Art blog:  https://performingartsblogcenter.blogspot.com
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment